Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas month at Singapore...

I have always heard from my friends and colleagues that during the Christmas month, Singapore is always very nicely lit up, especially at the Orchard Road. Well I was lucky enough to have the chance to experience the night scene in Singapore just recently, and I was not disappointed. *wink*

On my first night there, I went to Bugis and saw very pretty decorations outside of Bugis Junction Mall. Somehow, the spiral lightings reminded me of the Chinese spiral joss sticks... :P

Outside Bugis Junction Mall, Singapore
Outside Bugis Junction Mall and BHG

Then I walked from here towards Suntec City, and asked for directions to the Esplanade. I suppose being a foreigner, I should feel rather proud to be able to make my way to Esplanade without much fuss. *LOL* It was a weeknight and drizzling as well, so it was very much quieter than usual.

Esplanade, Singapore
Esplanade at night

After walking such a long distance :P, I thought it was only fair to treat myself to a supper, somewhat. Anyway, I tried the famous Singapore Hokkien noodles which was very much different than the one found in Penang. However, I regret to say that the taste did not live up to expectations... Or I just didn't go to the correct stall. Too bad for me...
Singapore Hokkien noodles

With a full stomach, I then proceeded to the nearby Merlion. Of course, you wouldn't have been to Singapore if you had not visited this landmark, people say. True to its legend, the Merlion indeed fascinated me with its majestic size and posture. It was as if its presence demanded full attention. Truly amazing...
Merlion

Nearby, the skyscrapers lit up magnificently and made the whole night scene look alive.
Fullerton Hotel, Singpapore
Fullerton Hotel
Fullerton hotel

The next night, I ended up at the famed Orchard Road, which was also the busiest part of Singapore, according to the cab driver. He didn't even want to drop me at Orchard Road itself, for fear that he would not be able to get out of the terrible jam himself. Instead, he dropped me off at the end of Orchard Road, which was actually fine for me, since I wanted to experience walking along the busiest road in Singapore during Christmas month. ;) Might I say, I was not disappointed...

Orchard road

Orchard road

Some of the malls were also decorated very nicely in the interior, such as this one I took from Wisma Atria.
Wisma Atria

Xmas @ Wisma Atria
Wisma Atria

And who could have missed the gigantic Christmas tree which was propped up at the entrance of Paragon in Orchard Road? I swear to you my camera just did not do the justice as to how HUGE the tree was. And it was nothing less than magical. It was definitely my favourite Christmas tree out of all that I've seen so far. :)
Paragon Christmas tree

Paragon Christmas tree
Outside Paragon
Orchard road
Across Scotts Road, near Orchard
Overall, I have to say that it is really true what they say about Singapore becoming alive at night during the magical month of December. Experiencing it for the first time made it all the more special to me. Since it's so near to Christmas, it is apt to wish everyone a very MERRY CHRISTMAS! Time to start with your New Year resolutions list right now... ;)

No comments: