Thursday, May 14, 2009

Fancy the best Nasi Lemak in town?

Deemed 'The Best Nasi lemak in Uptown' by themselves, Village Park opens its doors to full house almost every morning and lunch. It is especially busy on weekend mornings, with plenty of families and young adults alike looking for a plate of glorious nasi lemak and a glass of teh tarik.

I first found out about this place last year through a friend. Fast forward a few months later, I was telling Saucer about it and we decided to pay the restaurant a visit. It's located at Damansara Uptown, same row with the HSBC bank found there. As expected, we had to wait for a while before we found an empty table. For those who have not been there before, there is actually an air-conditioned area next door, which can only be reached when you walk into the main entrance and head towards the back. The air-conditioned area is more comfortable, and possibly less crowded because it seems that not many people knew about this area.

P1020139
Village Park Restaurant

Anyway, we placed our orders with the waiter and waited patiently. The first to arrive was the toasted bread of kaya and butter (RM1.80). Whenever a toast is ordered, it is vital to ensure that it is consumed first. Otherwise when it is cold, it will not taste as good, with the hardened crust and cold bread.

P1020128
Toasted bread set

The toasted bread set came with 4 slices of bread with butter and kaya on each pair. They were not stingy with the butter and kaya spread, and the toasts were served warm. Therefore, I have no complaints with this dish.

P1020132
Milo Dinosaur

One of the highlights of my visit was my drink! I ordered the Milo dinosaur which I had raved about to Saucer every so often. This drink costed RM4 but it was so worth it! The milo was ice-blended and very thick. On top of that, more milo powder was added to the top of the drink, rendering a complete Milo Attack experience! Definitely recommended to order. Oh, please note that the portion is quite huge, so I'd recommend sharing a glass with another friend. :)

Finally, the star of the day - Nasi Lemak! Was it as good as they claimed? Judge for yourself. :) We ordered the Nasi Lemak biasa + ayam goreng (fried chicken) at RM6.90. The fried chicken was different from the KFC type, where lots of flour is used. This fried chicken had very minimal flour and the skin was crispy and well marinated! Plus, all the fried chickens were of the drumstick + thigh part, so no worries on getting the chicken breast or chicken wings that some people might not like. :)

P1020133
Nasi lemak and fried chicken


As you can see from the picture, a plate of nasi lemak comes with half an egg, cucumber slices, anchovies and the important sambal. The rice was fragrant with the smell of coconut milk, and the sambal was spicy without being overpowering. Saucer preferred those spicier sambal with bright red colour, but I found this sambal to be not bad. It matched the rice very well.

P1020134
Sambal

This was the fried chicken that I mentioned earlier. It was crispy on the outside and yummy on the inside. I know, it's not healthy eating chicken skin but I simply couldn't help myself! The portion of this nasi lemak was quite huge for me. Maybe it's because of the Milo drink too, I ended up not being able to finish the rice.

P1020135
Fried chicken

My verdict? I'd definitely return to this place again for the nasi lemak and Milo dinosaur! But make sure to come early or come really late to avoid having to wait for a seat.

Village Park Restaurant
5, Jalan SS21/37,
Damansara Utama,
47400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
Tel: 03-77107860
Open from 7 am to 8pm daily, 7 am to 6 pm on Sunday/Public Holiday

15 comments:

J2Kfm said...

very very delicious looking stuff. artery-clogging some more!

where the h***'s Uptown ah? =P

email2me said...

Wah so near my place ... find one weekend morning to try it. :D Early morning taking Kayu Ara route to this place is deadly jam!

Borneo Falcon said...

I can see the rice and the sambal easily make this a good nasi lemak

vialentino said...

agree with u...one of the best nasi lemak in town...every weekend after my jogging...sure go there to makan one.....very packed with people too and the price is reasonable...

foongpc said...

Looking at your photos make me hungry! I don't think I will have any problem finishing the nasi lemak, roti bakar and the milo dinosaur myself!

Too bad they don't open till midnight, if not I'll go there right now! Haha!

Anonymous said...

too bad it look good but i dont think this is the best nl in kl..chicken look undercook so little samble ...

zewt said...

wow...6.90 is really quite reasonable. will definitely give that a try when i am on leave and head there to visit my friend.

Irenelim said...

Wow, the nasi lemak and Milo dinosaur look really good. How big is exactly the Milo dinosaur?.. but too much milo later get constipation. lol.

By the way, did you get the email which I replied to yours days ago?

iamthewitch said...

J2Kfm: Haha yes artery-clogging indeed! But oh so worth it! Uptown is very near Damansara Utama, just next to the PLUS junction at Damansara.

email2me: Let me know once you try it out ok :)

Borneo Falcon: Yes, it's definitely good...

vialentino: Wah, after jogging you eat nasi lemak?! Pretty much overrides whatever you've burnt eh? :P *LOL*

foongpc: Haha, you're so funny. You should try eating all that at once before claiming you can :P And blog about it when you do. :)

Anonymous: The chicken was definitely not undercooked. And the sambal can always be requested for more.

zewt: Why only when you're on leave? Go there during weekends! :)

Irenelim: The Milo dinosaur is as big as a big mug, probably 1 pint? I'm not too sure. Haha, constipation! Yes, I did get your email, sorry I forgot to reply. :(

Irenelim said...

I like huge Milo, but no constipation. lol.

David said...

Hi witch,

You are in PJ for good or just weekends? Seems like you visited more restaurants around here.

Anyway, can try the mamak Dharos at the same DU area. The nasi lemak ayam is not bad over there too.

And if you are in town, and like tiramisu, remember to try Engka Portobello Restaurant Bar, it's near Bukit Bintang Jalan Alor area. ;)

iamthewitch said...

Irenelim: I second that! ;)

David: LOL You'll know the answer to my question pretty soon ;)

Big Boys Oven said...

I am addicted to this nasi lemak! :)

foongpc said...

Guess what?! I went to this Village Park for lunch today (Sunday). I ate the nasi lemak with ayam goreng, the toasted bread with butter and kaya and drank the milo dinosaur. My friend could not finish her ayam goreng, so she gave some to me. And she knew she could not finish the milo dinosaur alone so she poured some into my glass after I drank half! Wow, a very satisfying meal! haha!

iamthewitch said...

Big Boys Oven: You and me both! *hi 5* :)

foongpc: OMG You really do have a BIG BIG stomach and appetite! I'm AMAZED!!! :)))