Thursday, April 2, 2009

Canton-I in Penang

This was my second visit to the relatively new Canton-I in Queensbay Mall, Penang. I didn't manage to take any pictures the first time around, so I thought it was a good idea for a re-visit, with Saucer and Wailian. We went there during the weekend for lunch, and wanted to order their goose meat, but apparently they're all out of stock. :( Anyway, browsing through the menu, all of us ordered the set of either noodles or rice + 2 different meat.

For me, I chose the rice with roasted duck meat and honey-glazed pork (char siew), for RM13.80. I think the price was definitely on the high side, for a plate of rice with meat that you could get at RM4-5 outside. I guess we have to pay also for the environment, the nice utensils they use and also the quality of the food. I thought the presentation was really pretty and tidy. And it came with half an egg too! I loved the char siew here because it's lean! *LOL* I know some people do not like lean meat, but I do! As for the duck, I think it's not very special compared to the one I ate before in Tmn Pekaka. Slightly above average, I would say, and not too gamey.

P1000623
Rice with roasted duck and
char siew

Closer look at the duck and egg. Very tempting!

P1000620
Roasted duck rice with egg

My favourite char siew!

P1000621
Roasted honey-glazed pork (char siew)

Saucer ordered the soup wantan noodles with wantan and roasted pork belly (siu yoke) for RM13.80. The portion of the noodles was rather huge, more than the regular size that you would get outside. The wantan was fabulous! It was full of prawns and very succulent!

P1000616
Soup wantan noodles

These days, the wantan that you get from other shops are so small you wonder if there's any filling inside. But Canton-I makes sure you cannot complain after eating their wantan. :) As for the noodles, I think it's not bad, although it is still lacking compared to the original noodles you find in Hong Kong. :)

P1000619
Huge wantan (prawn dumpling) with noodles

Look at the pork belly! Too bad I don't really fancy the fatty meat, but I love the crispy skin! My complain is that the portion is too small. :( *greedy*

P1000618
Roasted pork belly (siu yoke)

Finally, Wailian ordered the dried noodles with char siew and beef brisket. The dry version was RM1 more expensive than the soup version, if I'm not mistaken. Probably it's for the extra bowl of soup that came with the noodles?

P1000612
Dried noodles with siew yoke and chicken feet

A small bowl of soup to wash it down.

P1000614
Comes with soup!

Overall, I think the food in Canton-I's food has a certain level of quality that is definitely above average. Not the best, but not the worst either. For the environment and their brand, I guess it is only fair for them to charge higher. If you're not too happy with the price, I suggest you go to the coffee shop in Tmn Pekaka! :)

Canton-I
Ground Floor Queensbay Mall (North Court next to KFC)
Tel no.: 04-645 6688

8 comments:

ck lam said...

That plate of pork belly sure looks tempting...maybe time for a revisit :)

weilian said...

MeiYee, I bring you go to eat famous Char Siew in Town ... :)

J2Kfm said...

i've yet to visit Canton-i lah, though the food really reminds me of HK's fare.

HK's prices as well ... wonder how one can tahan eating char siew fan day in and day out there!

foongpc said...

I love their wanton noodles! And their egg tarts are good too : )

iamthewitch said...

ck lam: I know! I love the pork belly as well, only the skin though. :P

weiliang: OK, it's a deal! :)

J2Kfm: Yea, really not cheap. I don't think I can afford eating this everyday! Luckily I've got subsidized cafeteria food. :P

foongpc: Yea egg tarts! I forgot to mention them. I tapau back once and re-heated them in the oven before eating. Oh so glorious. :)

cc of Quaint Melody said...

OH!! Yummy-McYum! I'm dying for some of those now!

iamthewitch said...

cc: Hey girl! :) Let's go eat wantan mee! :)

Tiffany S said...

Thank you forr being you