Monday, April 27, 2009

What is unconditional love?

I believe everyone has heard of this phrase 'unconditional love' before. But does everyone truly appreciate and understand what it means? When you think about it, this phrase indeed bears a deeper meaning that it appears to be. Many people think that they are giving their partners unconditional love, especially when they are in love. or during the early stages of courtship But have you ever asked yourself, would you still be with the same partner if he/she
  • has an incurable disease?
  • lost all his money and is surrounded by debts?
  • wants to relocate permanently to another location which is far far away from your own family?
  • meets with an accident and becomes permanently paralysed/handicapped/etc so much so that constant care is required from you?
  • does not have the capability to breed?
Now for those who are married, perhaps they might think there's no choice but to stick with the same partner and try to make the best out of it. But for those who are just in a relationship, what if one day you discover your partner to have one of those things listed above? Do you think it will change the way you love your partner? I'm not saying that I'm being cynical but really, when you think rationally, don't you think most people would flee if given a choice?

I think I would not. What about you?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i'll stay with her (you) no matter what :)

khengsiong said...

Is this your declaration of love?

I would say that unconditional love goes beyond romantic love, and includes, among others, parental love, filial piety love etc.

foongpc said...

Well, I am only certain of one thing. I have unconditional love for myself! LOL!

iamthewitch said...

Hai Seong: Likewise babe :)

khengsiong: No, it's not declaration of love. It's just something that got me thinking. I know there's other sort of love, but I was mainly referring to the romantic type.

foongpc: Haha your comment made me laugh! :)